There are 3 ways to gain admittance to the Art Education or Licensure Programs.
1: Declare an Art Education Major
- Declare your major as Pre-Art Ed on MyMAP.
- Complete the following courses:
- Art 114 – Drawing
- Art 115 – 2-Dimensional Design
- Art 133 – 3-Dimensional Design
- Art 226 – Theory, Method & Practice
- ArtEd 276 (5 credits) – Introduction to K-12 Art and Design Education: Studio Methods, Media, and Explorations of Teaching. *Please keep in mind that in addition to regular class times during the week, this class meets all day (7am-3pm) every Friday to observe teachers in schools.
- Apply to the Art Ed program through the Department of Art’s Slideroom (March 30th or November 30th, 10 slides and a brief statement about your experience with art and education and why you want to become an art educator).https://artdepartment.
2: Add K-12 licensure to your Art Department BA or BFA, Design Department major, or TMA major.
- Contact the Art Education Coordinator to discuss your interest in the licensure option: Daniel Barney (3116-D JKB, 801-422-1581. Daniel_barney@byu.edu ).
- Complete the mandatory FBI fingerprint and background clearance process (for information, please see Education Advisement Center: 350 MCKB, 801-422-3426, email@example.com).
- Successfully pass the following course (5 credits): ArtEd 276 – Introduction to K-12 Art and Design Education: Studio Methods, Media, and Explorations of Teaching.
- Approval to pursue the full Art Education licensure option may be granted based upon student performance in ArtEd 276. If approval is granted, the licensure option will be added to the student’s record and the student may continue with the remaining required courses for licensure.
3: You can also get an Art Education minor if you have been accepted into a Education major and would like to add the visual arts endorsement to your license.
- Meet with Tara Carpenter firstname.lastname@example.org to begin the process of adding this endorsement to your education degree. Becca email@example.com will be your advisor for the minor in art education
Please Note: The Utah State Board of Education has mandated that students in licensure programs have (and maintain) a minimum 3.0 GPA. They’ve also mandated that candidates have passed the ACT (minimum scores: 21 Composite, 20 English, 19 Math) or SAT (minimum scores: 1000 Composite, 450 Verbal, 450 Math). If you don’t meet these minimum requirements, but are still interested, talk with Tara Carpenter firstname.lastname@example.org about your options.
Admission to the MA Program in Art Education is gained through the University’s Office of Graduate Studies and the Department of Art. Applications are accepted year round, however applications are reviewed for acceptance into the MA program in February prior to the Fall Semester the applicant wants to begin. Admission can be made by applying online at the Graduate Studies website:
Applicants should meet the following qualifications to be considered for admission:
- completed an undergraduate degree in art, or its equivalent, with a minimum of 20 hours in upper division studio course work and 12 hours of Art History
- achieved a 3.0 GPA during the last two years of undergraduate study
- completed application form online
- submit all admission materials listed below before February 1. Send to:
Department of Art
Provo, UT 84602-6414
View program requirements here