Join BYU’s Master of Fine Arts Program in Art to grow as an individual and as an artist. The application is a two-step procedure: 1) applying to BYU Graduate Studies, and 2) applying to the Department of Art’s MFA program. Both applications must be completed to be considered for admission. Links to both applications are found at the bottom of this page.
Department of Art applications through SlideRoom are available December 2 through February 1. To be fully considered, all application materials and fees must be submitted by 11:59pm MT February 1.
- Office of Graduate Studies application fee: $50
- Department of Art application fee: $10 (covers the cost of SlideRoom)
To be considered for admission, the applicant must have
- completed an undergraduate degree in art, or its equivalent, with a minimum of 20 hours in upper division studio course work and at least 12 hours of Art History;
- achieved a 3.0 GPA during the last two years of undergraduate study;
- recent TOEFL or IELTS test results, if English is a second language.
Required Materials for University Application
An application checklist of necessary materials and information can be found on the graduate studies website: https://gradstudies.byu.edu/page/applying. Applications through the university’s system can be completed year-round. Admission to the MFA program is only determined in February each year.
Department Application and Portfolio Requirements
The Department of Art application is completed on SlideRoom. The items listed below are required.
- 20 images, or their equivalent (see calculations below)
- The portfolio should feature 1– 4 focused and cohesive bodies of independent work with strong execution and conceptual grounding.
- Do not include coursework or any work that infringes on the intellectual property rights of another artists.
- Images (up to 5MB each), Video (up to 250MB each), Audio (up to 30MB each), PDFs (up to 10MB each) and Models (Sketchfab). You may also link to media from YouTube, Vimeo and SoundCloud.
- Edit any sound or video art down to a 3-minute clip and indicate in your media label that it is just an excerpt.
- If submitting sound or video art, follow this formula to determine that the proper amount of material is included in the application:
- One sound/video piece = 5 images (therefore, one video + 15 images = 20 images; 2 sound files + 10 images = 20 images, and so on)
- Artist statement, 250 words or less (PDF)
- Your statement should directly address the conceptual concerns behind your work, and how those concerns have driven the making process.
- Letter of Intent, 1 page (PDF)
- Describe why you specifically selected BYU’s MFA Studio Art program for furthering your education.
- You should write about which department of art faculty you would like to work with, and why you have selected these specific faculty members. We understand that this may change after admission.
- Please outline how you hope to develop and evolve as an artist through the Art MFA program at BYU.
- CV (PDF)
Applications to BYU’s Master of Fine Arts Program in Art is a two-step procedure: 1) applying to the BYU Graduate Studies, and 2) applying to the Department of Art’s MFA program. Both applications must be completed to be considered for admission.Apply to BYU Graduate StudiesApply to the Department of Art MFA